6 Marshall Street
William O’Brian purchased the property on which he built this family
home in 1892. The house remained in the O’Brian family until 1962.
It was a Miss Elizabeth O’Brian who, in 1896, bought land on
King Street West from Dr. Henry A. Turner and donated it to the
Presbyterian Church so that a place of worship could be built there
to replace one destroyed by fire on Tupper Street.
This Italianate townhouse is red stretcher brick with contrasting
yellow brick quoins. Large double brackets are evenly spaced under
the eaves. The main entrance is off centre of the front façade and
features a flat wood door with coloured glass transom, decorative
mouldings, and semi-circular windows. The second storey has a
balcony with a decorative railing and a segmented Second Empire
door. A graceful verandah sweeps around two sides of the house.