Cavan Monaghan Historical Overview
John Deyell assisted Samuel G. Wilmot in the first survey of this area in 1817 and is credited with naming Cavan and Monaghan Townships in honour of his Irish birthplace. An extraordinary entrepreneur, John Deyell lived to age 103 and is credited with significant early development in the area.
John Deyell, First Settler of what is now Cavan Monaghan Township
John Deyell is generally acknowledged to be Cavan Township’s first settler, arriving in 1816. He and his family were certainly among the first to put down roots. He had a long and remarkable life, and he left his mark.
Needler's Mill in Historic Millbrook, Ontario
From This Green & Pleasant Land, p. 303: “The Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society was born on Nov. 24, 1978….The immediate burning cause was the preservation of the old mill from which the Village takes its name; there was a move afoot to tear the building down….”
In February 2018, Needler’s Mill officially became the property of the Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society as representatives from Otonabee Conservation and the Historical Society signed the final paperwork at a public gathering at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 402 in Millbrook.
Shady Nook Dairy
The following history has been gathered from an interview and subsequent newspaper feature written by Melodie McCullough for the Peterborough Examiner, March 22, 1999. The article was sent to the Historical Society by Jan Rowland, Cedar Valley Road, Fraserville.
For 35 years, Clifford Larmer was part of the Shady Nook Dairy operation, first as the son of the owner, Wilberforce (Wib) Larmer and then as the owner himself. From the age of 13, he would don his Shady Nook uniform and cap and set out for the village of Millbrook each day by horse and wagon from his father’s Holstein dairy farm four miles northeast of Millbrook.
Memories of Main Street
Tracing the history of the recently restored cabinet that now houses displays in the Millbrook branch of the Cavan Monaghan Library, led us to Reg Fowler. Reg’s uncle Dave owned Fowler’s Men’s Wear, which he took over from his father George who ran it as Fowler & Pendrie, and before that, Fowler & Kells, at 17 King Street East in Millbrook.
her family from Drum in County Monaghan, and they had three children; Robert (Bob), Sara and my father William (sometimes called Will but usually Bill).