} Dr. Wright’s House – Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society

Dr. Wright’s House

8 King Street West

Built in the late 1880s by Archibald Wood, this house is a fine example of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. The exuberance of the style is exhibited in the angled frontispiece, asymmetrical styling, front-facing gable, overhanging eaves, and the rounded tower.
Dr. John W. Wright, known as Jack, purchased this house in 1933 and began his practice here, using the front entrance as his office. His examining room was in what conventionally would be the living room. Dr. Wright practiced in Millbrook for 40 years, serving also as village coroner for many years, and as reeve from 1948 to 1953.